Hemp seed is rich in highly digestible protein, meaning your body can absorb it easily. It is also a complete protein source, containing all the essential amino acids our body needs from our diet.
Hemp seeds are a great source of polyunsaturated and essential fatty acids, which are the healthy fats! In total they contain about 30% fat with unique 3:1 ratio of omega-6 and omega-3. This promotes cardiovascular health and may benefit some skin diseases.
Another essential fatty acid found in hemp seeds is Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which can have a hormone regulatory effect which may relieve symptoms of PMS.
Hemp seed also provides a source of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
Not sure how to use hemp? We’ve put together some great recipes to inspire you in the kitchen. Here’s one of our favourites.
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3/4 cup flax meal
- 6 tablespoons Vasse Valley hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1.5 cups water
- Extra hemp seeds for decoration
• Preheat oven to 180°
• Line a loaf tin with baking paper
• Add water to mixture and mix to combine
• Pour into lined tin and smooth out top with spoon
• Sprinkle with extra hemp seeds for decoration
• Bake for 45 mins
• Let cool in oven
• Store in sealed container