- Protein balls are such a nutritious and tasty snack. This recipe for protein balls uses hemp protein powder – a high quality plant-based protein with the added benefit of fibre and healthy fats.
I honestly cannot get over how good these bad boys TASTE! Not to mention how nutritious they are! These were created using the incredible hemp products from Vasse Valley: Hemp Protein and Hemp Hearts.
With nearly 7g of protein per ball, these make the perfect snack between meals to keep you satiated and fueled!
The use of such high-quality hemp products means that these balls are packed with unsaturated fatty acids and fibre to keep your heart happy and bowels moving.
Whether you are looking for a healthy option to add to your kids (or your) lunch box, or just want a tasty post-workout snack, these protein balls are for YOU!
Hemp protein powder
Hemp protein powder recipes that aren’t smoothies are hard to come by. But tell you what, this is such a wonderful ingredient to work with! The consistency is similar to flour but a bit oilier, making it a good binder.
You could experiment with substituting a portion of flour with hemp protein powder in other recipes for added moisture and nutrients. Don’t add too much though as the flavour is quite strong.
Be careful with the brand you choose as quality is highly variable. Some hemp protein powders contain a lot of seed husk, which is not soluble and very gritty. Many brands also used imported hemp seed.
Luckily, Vasse Valley has you covered with a top quality, 100% Australian grown product.
Hemp and caramel protein balls
A recipe by Emma Wilks – @nourishbyemma_
Emma is an Aussie-born health and fitness fanatic. After battling some health issues, Emma made some dietary and lifestyle changes and has never looked back! She started her instagram page in 2017 and is building a strong following based on her delicious, healthy recipes.
*NOTE* To make these peanut-free, substitute the peanut butter for any other nut butter.
MAKES – about 16-20 balls
TIME – 15 minutes prep, 30 minutes setting time
1 1/2 cups / 120g Oats
1 1/2 tbsp / 9.6g Coconut Oil
1/2 cup / 120g Peanut Butter
1/3 cup / 110g Maple Syrup
1/2 cup / 62g Vasse Valley Hemp Protein Powder
1/3 cup / 42g Chopped Pecans
1 tsp / 4.2g Vanilla Extract
1/3 cup / 56g Vasse Valley Hemp Hearts
- Add all the dry ingredients, except the hemp hearts, into a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Once combined, melt the coconut oil and combine to the dry mixture along with the other wet ingredients.
- Line a baking tray and place the hemp hearts into a separate bowl.
- Roll the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and roll into the hemp hearts. Place balls on the baking tray.
- Once all the balls are rolled and lain out on the baking tray, place them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- You can store these in the fridge for up to 8 days.