Lamb Kofta is a Middle Eastern dish made from ground lamb mixed with onions, garlic, and spices. The meat mixture is shaped into balls then grilled and served with pita, salads, dips, and sauces.
This Lamb Kofta Avocado Bowl is not only a delicious meal but it is a feast for the eye! An Insta-worthy plate of healthy fats and freshness. Sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Recipes with hemp seeds
You’ll note that in this recipe we have replaced sesame seeds with hemp seeds to add some extra omega 3 fatty acids. Recipes with hemp seeds are becoming increasingly common in Australian cuisine.
Hemp seeds, also know as hemp hearts, are mild, soft and nutty. They are rich in high quality, plant-based protein and polyunsaturated fatty acids, plus contain a range of vitamins and minerals such as iron, calcium and magnesium.
If you haven’t purchased hemp seeds before make sure you check the packet to ensure they are 100% Australian grown. Imported hemp seeds are generally cheaper but have a higher carbon footprint and don’t support our hard-working Australian growers.
Lesson over…time to cook!
Lamb kofta avocado bowl
A recipe by Megan Ellam
Megan is a popular Australian keto blogger with a range of co-branded keto retail food products. Megan has self-publishing eight keto cookbooks plus over 50 digital cookbooks in just the past 3 years. Check out Megan’s recipes at madcreationshub.
- 1 tablespoon (10g) pine nuts
- 300g (10.5oz) lamb mince
- 2 teaspoons Harissa Paste
- 1⁄2 bunch each of chopped fresh parsley, coriander and mint
- 4 tablespoons (40g) hemp seeds (hearts), plus extra to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons (40g) olive oil
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup Lime Pickled Red Onions
SPICED YOGHURT SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup (120g) Greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 clove garlic, finely minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. Into a large bowl place pine nuts, mince, harissa paste, 2 tablespoons of chopped herbs, and half the hemp seeds. Season to taste. Using your hands or a spoon mix until well combined. Shape mixture into one tablespoon-sized meatballs.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry meatballs until golden on all sides and cooked through. Transfer to plate and reserve.
3. In a small bowl combine yoghurt, chilli, garlic, zest, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
4. Divide baby spinach leaves between 4 serving bowls. Top with tomatoes, kofta, pickled onions, and yoghurt sauce. Garnish with remaining parsley, coriander leaves, mint leaves, chilli flakes, and hemp seeds.
Any ground meat can be used in place of lamb mince. For a keto vegan alternative replace it with vegan mince or soy beans. Harissa can be replaced with ground cumin, coriander and chilli paste. This meal goes great with the Keto Naan or Mad Creations Soft Keto Wraps (see Cooking Essentials). You can substitute 3 Ingredient Yoghurt in place of Greek yoghurt for a lower carb count.
DF EF NF V* VG*
SERVES 4 | PER SERVE | 570 kCal | 5g Net Carbs | 22g Protein | 49g Fat