- A deliciously easy and warm roast pumpkin & avocado salad that is hearty enough even for the big eaters. The use of hemp seed oil in the dressing really brings this salad to life and ensures you are getting your daily dose of omega 3.
Salad season never dies in my opinion. Be it hot or cold there is always a salad option to suit your body’s needs.
The raw veggies in salads provide an abundance of vitamins, minerals and highly beneficial and medicinal plant compounds like terpenes and flavonoids.
Salads also provide an easy way to meet your daily veggie requirements to make sure your body is performing its best.
Get your good fats here!
The best thing about this roast pumpkin and avocado salad is the abundance of healthy fats, not just from the avocado but also the hemp seeds and hemp seed oil.
Most of us tend to consume a diet rich in saturated fats. We have all heard dieticians tell us we need to include more sources of polyunsaturated fats in our diets. That is step number 1.
Step 2 is to focus more on the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3. The omega ratio in most modern diets is unbalanced, with too much omega 6. This can lead to inflammation.
Hemp seed and hemp seed oil contain a perfectly balanced omega 6:3 so try to include some in your daily diet.
Roast Pumpkin & Avocado Salad
A recipe by Megan Ellam
Megan is a popular Australian keto blogger, author and has co branded on a range of keto retail food products. In 2017, Megan was diagnosed with insulin resistance after struggling with her weight and health for more than 15 years. After discovering the keto diet, Megan went on to lose more than 30 kilograms, self-publishing 8 keto cookbooks plus a range of over 50 digital cookbooks in just the past 3 years. Check out Megan’s recipes at madcreationshub.
- 200g (7oz) pumpkin, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup pepitas
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons (40g) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups kale, rib removed, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup hemp seeds
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herbs and lemon wedges, to serve
GREEN GODDESS DRESSING
- 1⁄2 cup mixed fresh herbs (I use parsley, chives and coriander)
- 1⁄2 cup (120g) Greek yoghurt or tahini (vegan option)
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon (20g) hemp seed oil
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Toss the pumpkin, pepitas and sesame seeds with olive oil and smoked paprika. Scatter on the prepared baking tray. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until tender, turning half-way through baking time.
- Meanwhile prepare the dressing; place all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required.
- Place kale into a large bowl and add a little of the dressing. Toss to coat. Divide between 4 serving bowls (or 1 large) and top with sliced avocado, roasted pumpkin, pepitas and sesame seeds. Scatter over hemp seeds and fresh herbs and serve with lemon wedges.
- Pumpkin can be substituted with cauliflower or roasted mushrooms for a lower carb option.
- Hemp seeds are also know as hemp hearts. They are the white, inner core of the seed.
- Kale can be replaced with any leafy greens of choice.
- Haloumi or roast chicken pairs beautifully with this salad.
- The salad can be made ahead of time.
- Simply leave the dressing in a small jar.
- For a great mason jar salad add the dressing to the bottom followed by the pumpkin and then leaves. Mix it when ready.
DF EF NF V VG
SERVES 4 | 321 kCal | 8g Net Carbs | 10g Protein | 27g Fat
Roast Pumpkin & Avocado Salad - Vasse Valley
Salad season never dies in my opinion. Be it hot or cold there is always a salad option to suit your body's needs.
Type: Lunch, dinner
Recipe Yield: 4 servings